Half Moon Bay shooting suspect to be charged with seven counts of murder – New York Daily News


The man suspected of killing four people at a California mushroom farm and three others at a nearby site earlier this week will be charged with seven counts of murder, the local district attorney said.

San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe told ABC News he planned to file a felony complaint on Wednesday against Chunli Zhao, which will also include one count of attempted murder, firearm use enhancements and a count of special circumstance allegation of multiple murder.

Zhao is due in court on Wednesday with an arraignment hearing scheduled for 1:30 p.m. local time. He’s accused of fatally shooting seven people and wounding an eighth in what authorities have dubbed “an instance of workplace violence.

On Monday, the 66-year-old suspect unleashed a barrage of bullets at a mushroom farm where he once worked in the city of Half Moon Bay. Four people were fatally struck in the gunfire and a fifth was wounded. From there, Zhao traveled about two miles to a second location where he allegedly shot and killed another three people.

Authorities said the victims — seven men and one woman — were all either Asian or Hispanic.

San Mateo County Sheriff Christina Corpus said Zhao appeared to target certain people amid the attack. She noted that “he went after and pursued” certain people while allowing others to flee. So far, his exact connection with the victims remains unclear outside of the fact they were all most likely co-workers.

Zhao was arrested on Monday, hours after the mass shooting, when officers spotted his vehicle in the parking lot of the Sheriff’s Office Half Moon Bay police substation. A search of his car also turned up the weapon he allegedly used to carry out the massacre.

With News Wire Services

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top